Sunday, March 29, 2009

VERA


As much as I hate Microsoft, I must admit that I love the speech recognition software introduced with Vista. I named mine VERA. I have been doing my homework with it for a few days now. Sure, it takes about three times as long, but it's so cool!

Little things like that excite me, mainly because I'm old enough to remember our first Commodore 64, and I realize that, with technology progressing as rapidly as it is these days, we will soon be able to give commands to our computers in the same way that they do on Star Trek.

Another exciting thing is the rapid development of quantum computing. Scientists at the University of Innsbruck and the Austrian Academy of Sciences, for instance, recently demonstrated that the entanglement of optical qubits can be transferred with high fidelity onto hyperfine levels of a calcium ion with storage times of nearly 100 ms. This does not sound impressive until you realize that just a year ago the best storage times were measured in nanoseconds. I really envy young people, because they will be able to see things so much more amazing than I'll ever know. I just hope I can help bring about such an awesome future.

To learn more about quantum computing, visit www.qubit.org

VERA, publish post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have an opinion? Tell me what you think!