Sunday, April 5, 2009

Working With Windows 7


Please understand, I really do not like Windows. However, since I am forced to use it for school (assignments must be submitted in Word format), I figured I might as well use the latest version. So I downloaded and installed Windows 7 Ultimate Beta a few months ago. Well, due to it's extreme suckitude, I ended up having to reinstall it- programs kept crashing, my display driver stopped responding when watching video in WMP (after I managed to get the codecs to work, of course), it would not wake up from hibernation, etc, etc. Anyways, after reinstalling it, I ended up having NAT problems in Vuze. So I did what I would normally do; I opened Windows Firewall and tried to add the Vuze port to the exception list.

Now, IDK if it's a virus or just another annoying Windows 7 feature, but the 'Change Settings' button on Windows Firewall is greyed out. I am always admin, of course, and have set permissions for myself for everything, just about. However, though I could add a program exception, I could not add an individual port or range of ports. I had already added Vuze to the exception list, but that never matters, because you just have to add the port, period, or you'll continue to have NAT problems. This pissed me off to no end, because I had already been downloading the Star Trek movie collection for days, and was only about 50% finished (it's just 6Gigs, so you know it should have been done much sooner. My DL speed was averaging 20kB/sec). But, luckily, I'm used to looking for a command line alternative, due to my Linux use, and thanks to the help of this post, I found a command line workaround for Windows Firewall.

Here's what you do.

Run the command prompt as admin. Then simply type

netsh firewall add portopening ALL 49211 Vuze ENABLE ALL

Where
[ protocol = ] TCP|UDP|ALL
[ port = ] 1-65535
[ name = ] name
[ [ mode = ] ENABLE|DISABLE
[ scope = ] ALL|SUBNET|CUSTOM


You may also specify
[ addresses = ] addresses
[ profile = ] CURRENT|DOMAIN|STANDARD|ALL
[ interface = ] name ]


You may do it like I did and just type the options, or you can also type the whole thing port = 49211, etc. Oh yah, just make sure you keep everything on one line.

It's just that simple. Windows will tell you the command executed successfully, but that the command is deprecated and you should use

netsh advfirewall firewall

instead. That's BS, I tried that and it said 'command not found.'

I immediately went back and ran a port test in Vuze and, sure enough, the port was open, and I had a green smiley!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have an opinion? Tell me what you think!